1. About Mediafin
Trustmedia Beyond Advertising and Bepublic Group are the advertising departments of Mediafin NV (hereafter referred to as “Trustmedia-Bepublic Group”). Trustmedia Beyond Advertising offers advertising space for sale on audio-visual channels in newspapers, magazines and on digital media that are the property of Mediafin NV. Bepublic Group offers PR-services (public relations).
Mediafin NV, with its registered offices at Havenlaan 86C box 309, 1000 Brussels, company registration number 0404.800.301, acts in this as the responsible processor.
Mediafin NV cares about your privacy, and as a result, takes all the necessary measures to protect your privacy in accordance with the Law of 8th December 1992 for the Protection of the Personal Life with regards to the Processing of Personal Data, the EU regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and from 25th May 2018 the Directive 95/46/EC General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), in both cases together with all legislation that they will be implemented or supplemented with and possible other applicable legislation related to the protection of data or privacy.
2. Entities Trustmedia-Bepublic Group
The following entities are part of Trustmedia-Bepublic Group and offer Services:
- Trustmedia Beyond Advertising
- Trustmedia (https://trustmedia.be)
- Content Republic
- Comfidens (https://www.comfi.be)
- News Services
- Bepublic Group
- Befirm (https://www.befirm.be)
- Bereal (http://www.bereal.be)
- Bepublic (https://www.bepublic.be)
3. The Services
Trustmedia-Bepublic Group offers various Services in terms of information and events, for which it offers you content to inform you and to create greater involvement. This way, the entities of Mediafin NV want to know you better and tailor the Services you selected better to your personal preferences. These Services include customized content and advertising (including minimal repetition of the same advertising) delivered by Trustmedia Beyond Advertising, and PR-services delivered by Bepublic Group.
When we refer to “content”, we mean, amongst other, all articles, visual and audio material, advertising, and other content that we offer, interactive or not (i.e. polls, competitions…).
This content is selected based on prior agreed criteria, which is determined by the content of the pages or categories of the websites that you visit, and the information that you were able to share with Trustmedia-Bepublic Group when registering on the various websites or Services by Mediafin NV.
4. ow do we collect data? And what data is included?
Personal data of Mediafin NV can be shared with various entities that are part of company itself, in Belgium and abroad, including Trustmedia-Bepublic Group.
In addition, Mediafin NV can also receive data from advertisers, commercial partners, and/or associated entities.
- Registration mailings Trustmedia-Bepublic Group.
Mediafin NV collects data (for example e-mail address, name, language, gender and position title) when you register on the website of Trustmedia (https://www.trustmedia.be) to inform you via e-mail and telephone about advertising campaigns or promotions.
- Use of commercial services of Trustmedia-Bepublic Group.
Mediafin NV collects data (e.g. e-mail address, first name, last name, gender, company, function and language) when you contact Trustmedia-Bepublic Group by e-mail or telephone (e.g. to request a quote, place an order, manage a social media account).
- Participation in events of Trustmedia-Bepublic Group.
Mediafin NV collects data (e.g. e-mail address, first name, last name, gender, company, position and language) when you register for an event organized by Trustmedia-Bepublic Group.
- Registration Mijn Tijd and/or Mon Echo – Relevant ads and partner information.
Mediafin NV collects data (e.g. e-mail address, surname and first name) when you subscribe to the website of De Tijd (https://www.tijd.be/mijn-tijd/) and/or L’Echo (https://www.lecho.be/mon-echo/) in order to be informed by e-mail about advertising actions or promotions.
- Use of Services and App(s) of Mediafin NV.
Mediafin NV collects data about the pages that are consulted via the app.
- Mediafin NV collects data when you make use of Services of Mediafin NV. For example: which subscription you have, the web pages you visit, the functions you use, advertisements that appear on web pages you visit as well as the advertisements you click on and events. These data are used to monitor the effective use on the websites of Mediafin NV.
- Trustmedia-Bepublic Group conducts market research. Questionnaires are sent out, the answers are stored for analysis purposes. Trustmedia-Bepublic Group voert marktonderzoeken uit.
When using MEDIAFIN NV’s apps on a mobile device, the unique identifier of that device can be captured. MEDIAFIN NV can also record the type of device used or the version of the operating system used. MEDIAFIN NV can record how and where the app is used and where it was downloaded (location information).
MEDIAFIN NV can also collect more general information such as IP-range, OS type, browser type, language, referrer, etc. This helps to provide consistent Services on all your devices.
5. How do we use this data?
- Because it is necessary to execute the agreement between us:
Subsequent processing is necessary for the execution of the agreement. If, in these cases, you do not provide us with the personal data or do not allow us to process them, we will unfortunately not be able to provide you with the Services:
- Setting up and maintaining (including preventing and remedying problems) the Services (e.g. publishing an advertisement, providing a communication service).
- Use of personal data for billing purposes
- To answer any questions about support or information related to MEDIAFIN NV or the Services
- For other compatible purposes to the extent necessary to provide the Services.
- On the basis of our own legitimate interest as a company:
Certain use of your personal data by MEDIAFIN NV is in our legitimate interest to improve the Services and to safeguard our own legitimate interests in this respect. In this context, we process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Customer management
- To get to know you better about the MEDIAFIN NV Services
- To gain a better understanding of the Services we offer (e.g. through analytical tools that register technical characteristics of the content, advertising or newsletters, technical issues or requests viewed by you on an individual level, or that register the viewing experience for content and advertising), to improve them and to identify general trends.
- Personalization, contact and interaction with you within your chosen Service based on the personal data and use you make of the Services. MEDIAFIN NV strives to make the Services it offers as relevant as possible to you. For example, MEDIAFIN NV maintains a profile based on the use you make of the Services, including the content you request, in order to get a picture of your likely interests. On the basis of these interests, MEDIAFIN NV can adapt the content, advertisements and the experience for different groups of users. For example, you as a user may be included in a certain category, such as ‘investor over 26 years of age, interest in funds’. This group will see different content recommendations and advertisements than the category ‘Newsreader in the age category under 26, interest in culture and current affairs’.
- To keep you informed about advertisements relating to MEDIAFIN NV’s own similar products and Services
- To prevent and detect abuse or fraud and to improve security
- Pursuant to a legal obligation: In certain circumstances, MEDIAFIN NV is legally obliged to process certain data, e.g. with regard to the preparation and storage of invoices.
If you do not provide us with the personal data in these cases, we will unfortunately not be able to provide you with certain Services.
- Only with your express consent:
- To be able to send newsletters to you
- To be kept informed of advertisements relating to non-similar products and services of MEDIAFIN NV or products and services of third parties.
- To pass on your data to third parties outside MEDIAFIN NV for marketing purposes.
6. Who do we share your personal data with?
This personal data is processed by MEDIAFIN NV, which is responsible for the processing.
- Entities within MEDIAFIN NV: We may share your personal data with other entities associated with Mediafin NV.
- Suppliers: Personal data may be transferred to other companies, intermediaries or service providers (“Suppliers”) to perform certain services on our behalf. For example, Mediafin NV uses Suppliers to provide marketing, communication, infrastructure and IT services, to process results of market research. By default, we only allow our suppliers to process your personal data to the extent necessary for the provision of their services.
If a supplier wishes to process your data for purposes other than the provision of their service (e.g. to communicate to you about their own services), your data will only be passed on to them subject to your consent.
- Authorities: We may also share or transfer personal data, including the content of your communications:
- To comply with the law or respond to legal process or legal requests, including law enforcement and government authorities
- To detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud and technical security problems; or
- Advertisers: Unless you give us your explicit consent, your personal data will not be shared with advertisers. Data will only be shared with advertisers and commercial partners on the basis of anonymous and aggregated data, for example to inform them about the general use of the services.
- Transfer to third countries outside the EEA: MEDIAFIN SA transfers certain data to entities located in countries outside the European Economic Area. In such cases, MEDIAFIN NV undertakes to appoint only those controllers and processors that offer sufficient guarantees in terms of security and protection of personal data in accordance with applicable privacy legislation (to countries for which an adequacy decision exists or to entities that have signed the standard clauses of the European Commission or that have joined the Privacy Shield program in the U.S. where relevant). If you wish to receive more information about this, please contact the MEDIAFIN DPO (data protection officer).
- Furthermore, MEDIAFIN NV will not provide your data to other third parties without your prior consent, unless MEDIAFIN NV is obliged to do so by law or court order.
7. How is your personal data secured?
Mediafin NV cares about the protection of your data. Mediafin NV uses different security technologies and procedures to protect your data in an adequate way against unauthorized access, use of publication. Mediafin NV stores your shared personal data on computer systems with limited access, located on secured locations. By using services of Mediafin NV or sharing data through an alternative channel, you hereby agree that Mediafin NV may electronically communicate with you regarding security, privacy and maintenance issues linked to the Services you use.
It is your responsibility to take care of the protection and confidentiality of passwords used for your account(s). When a shared computer is used, remember to log out after use of our Services, in order protect your account data.
8. What are your rights?
You have the following rights with regard to our processing of your personal data:
- Right of access: You have the right to obtain information about whether or not personal data about you is being processed, and where this is the case in order to gain access to it.
- Right of rectification: You have the right to have incomplete, erroneous, inappropriate or outdated personal data deleted or corrected. You will be able to change certain data yourself on your profile page. For other matters, you will find our contact details at the bottom of this document. We will then amend or remove this information if necessary within the legally established time limits.
- Right of deletion: You have the right in certain cases to obtain deletion of the personal data concerning you. For example, if the use of your personal data is based on consent and you have withdrawn your consent, if this data has to be deleted due to a legal obligation or if the data has been processed incorrectly.
- Right of restriction: You have the right to restrict the processing of personal data concerning you in certain cases. For example:
- In the event that, in your opinion, the personal data are inaccurate, for the period necessary for MEDIAFIN NV to verify the accuracy of such personal data.
- If the processing is unlawful but you do not want the data to be deleted
- If you consider that our legitimate interest is unfounded, during the time necessary to verify the assessment.
In such a case, your personal data will be kept, but will only be used by MEDIAFIN NV in limited cases (with your consent, as necessary for our legal defence…).
- Right to object: You have the right to object in some cases, depending on the nature of the situation, to the processing of your personal data, for example:
- When processing is based on MEDIAFIN NV’s legitimate interest
- In case of direct marketing (including the use of profiling)
- Right to transferability: You have the right, in certain cases, to obtain the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to MEDIAFIN NV yourself, in a structured, common and machine-readable form, and to transfer them to another controller.
- Right to revoke consent: Insofar as the processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. The withdrawal of your consent shall not affect the lawfulness of any processing we have carried out prior to the withdrawal or the processing of your personal data carried out on legitimate grounds other than your consent.
- Right to complain to a data protection authority: If you have a complaint or concern about how we are processing your personal data, we will endeavour to address these concerns. If you feel that we have not adequately addressed your complaint or concern, you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact the supervisory authority.
- Right to object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes: You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “unsubscribe” link in the marketing emails we send you. Please contact us using the contact details given at the bottom of this Privacy Statement to unsubscribe from other forms of marketing (such as post marketing or telemarketing).
An application can be submitted electronically via a form at https://www.tijd.be/service/consumentenrecht (Dutch) or https://www.lecho.be/service/droitsdesconsommateurs (French), as well as via other channels mentioned in paragraph 11 ‘Contact’.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, for which you can contact the Data Protection Authority.
By post: Drukpersstraat 35, 1000 Brussels.
By telephone: +32 (0)2 274 48 00
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer or other device during a visit to a website. There are different types of cookies that can be distinguished according to their origin, function and lifespan. General information about the types of cookies can be found at https://www.allaboutcookies.org.
In combination with cookies MEDIAFIN also uses so-called “web beacons” (or clear gifs). A web beacon is a small graphic image in a mail or website that allows the use of that mail or website to be analyzed.
- To improve the use and functionalities of MEDIAFIN NV’s websites and emails
- To analyze how use is made of the website and emails
- To display or present customized information, content, services and advertisements to users
- Which cookies does MEDIAFIN use and when is your consent required?
- Functional and necessary cookies: functional cookies increase the user-friendliness of a website by reminding you of your choices (e.g. language preferences, region, login). Necessary cookies allow users to navigate through a website and use its functions. These cookies may be placed without your consent.
- Google Analytics and Gemius: these cookies collect anonymous data on the use of the MEDIAFIN NV websites and compile visitor statistics.
- ChartBeat: this cookie measures website usage
- Crazy Egg: This cookie measures the click behavior and movement patterns of the computer mouse)
- Optimizely: this cookie performs tests to measure the impact of website content.
These cookies may be placed without your consent.
- Advertising cookies: these allow a website to send customized advertising messages. The MEDIAFIN NV websites use, among other things, the following advertising cookies:
- DoubleClick and Adhese. These cookies collect data about the viewing of pages and advertisements, and can create a user profile (in principle, this is done anonymously, unless the user logs in via his/her Google account).
- Facebook Conversion Pixel. This cookie records the purchase behaviour after viewing an advertisement in Facebook. This information is added to the user’s Facebook profile (see also below “Is certain cookie information passed on to third parties?”).
We ask for your permission before placing these cookies.
- Information related to your use of MEDIAFIN’s websites or emails (such as the ID of the page visited and the detail of the page, date & time of the visit, any comments you have left)
- Information concerning your capacity as a user (subscriber/registered/anonymous). To the extent that you are a subscriber or registered user, we also collect your user ID
- Visit information regarding your access to the MEDIAFIN websites (such as what type of device you use to access the websites, browser type, your IP address).
- Session and user cookie IDs
- Is cookie information passed on to third parties?
Certain external partners may have access to specific cookie information (such as your user ID, surname, first name, email address, current subscriptions, pages visited, banners clicked, etc.) in order to offer you customized advertisements or to capture your feedback.
Certain cookies are placed on the MEDIAFIN websites by social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. This is done via the buttons of these social networks that may be offered on the MEDIAFIN websites. If you make use of this, these third parties may receive certain cookie information.
- How long is cookie information stored?
Cookies may be stored on your computer or mobile device for different periods of time. Depending on the type of cookie, they (and the information they collect) are automatically deleted when you close your browser (these are the so-called “session cookies”), in other cases, these cookies remain stored for a longer period of time and can also be used during a subsequent visit to this website (these are the so-called “permanent cookies”).
- How can you manage your cookies?
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanced-tracking-protection-firefox-desktop
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Safari : https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
If you use different devices to visit this website, please make sure that your cookie preference is set on each device’s browser. More information about managing cookies can be found at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
In addition, on the websites below you can choose from which companies you no longer wish to receive cookies:
Please note that if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to access certain functionalities that make your experience with the MEDIAFIN NV websites and services more efficient and certain functionalities may not function properly.
In addition, certain cookies allow advertisements to be better tailored to your interests. If you disable these cookies, you will still see advertisements, but they are less relevant to you. In addition, disabling certain cookies may result in you having to re-enter any login details (password, username) over and over again.
By post: Mediafin NV, Havenlaan 86C bus 309, 1000 Brussels
By email: email@example.com (data protection contact officer)
By phone: +32 (0)2 423 16 11
12. Applicable law